Saturday, July 26, 2008

Every once in a while

Every once in a while I get a notion in my head to conquer distances within Provo. Provo really isn't that large, but I don't have a car, so my mobility is pretty much limited to campus and Smith's. As a result, occasionally I decide to make Provo smaller by traversing across it without the help of a car. This has lead me to busing to Wal-mart, riding my bike to Target in Orem, and riding my bike from DT to the Provo Towne Center. This morning, right when I woke up, I decided to hike the Y. I googled directions to the trailhead, took my phone, ipod, a bottle of water, and started running. The Trailhead is only about 2–2.5 miles from my apartment, so that wasn't too bad (except for the steep incline just beneath the trailhead where I had to walk the last half mile or so). After running two miles and essentially hiking up the steep base of the mountain, I started the climb. About halfway up I wanted to die. The only thing that kept me walking switchback after switchback was the thought of sitting down on the Y and drinking my entire bottle of water. So, I kept going. I finally made it to the top (incredibly sweaty), and I sat for about a half an hour mentally preparing myself to do everything I had just done in reverse order.

While I was sitting at the top I heard screams from behind me, and I turned around to see a little boy rolling down the Y. Soon after I turned around his older brother, running after him, caught up to him and picked him up--the little boy started screaming. It was so surreal and sickening. The little boy had some cuts and scrapes, but I think he was fine. He was wearing a red t-shirt that matched the red t-shirts of at least 7 other people on the Y (I think it was some sort of family reunion), so I think he was in good hands. It's always really sickening to see someone else in pain. On Wed. Christie and I were at Hollywood video standing in line to rent Penelope, when a woman at the counter fainted. Their was a girl with her, probably around 10, who started panicking and kept repeating that she has seizures. It was so surreal--no one knew what to do. The woman was still visibly breathing, and she didn't have a seizure, and the paramedics came really quick. While we were standing there Christie asked if anyone had a phone. A girl in front of us did. She asked us who we thought she should call. Christie suggested 911. What is this world coming to? I'm glad Christie was alert because I almost passed out watching the whole thing. Weird.

Anyway. I finally descended from the Y and ran back to the Brittany. Needless to say I was completely exhausted. I've been watching The Office ever since!


Kathryn said...

You live in the Brittany again? You don't move around much, do you? Ha, just kidding. I am so proud of you for running to the Y and then climbing. Hurrah.

Kristin said...

I know, back at the brittany. don't judge me. I'm moving in the fall, I promise.

Chelsea said...

What on earth happened to Feedjit, yo? It no longer shows up on my computer.

Rachel said...

Holy crap, Kristin. You are the woman...that's awesome you just decided to run and hike and be all amazing.

And that's freaky about that kid. Rolling down the Y. Not fun at any age.

Did you like Penelope?