Thursday, May 17, 2012

What is this feeling?

The oddest thing has been happening to me. As I have earnestly documented here, herehere and here, I love TV. Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, The Bachelorette, Gilmore Girls, Bones, Mad Men. You name, I've seen it. I love it all.

But recently I have been crazy antsy for all the seasons to be done (blasphemy!).

It all started with this pesky full-time job I got. My first couple days of work, I would come home really excited to have new TV to catch up on. When you don't have a job, it's pretty easy to sqeeeeeze in time for every new episode of absolutely everything that is available on Hulu/Netflix/the internet. You get to the point where you are always caught up on everything and are always looking for something new. So when I first got a job, it was amazing to have exciting TV to look forward to without ever getting to the point where I needed to find new TV. Friday evenings were the best--30 Rock, Parks & Rec, The Office, and Grey's on Hulu. All new.

But then I got a little bit behind. And then I started adding TV to my to-do list.

And now I have a post-it on my desktop listing the TV shows that I follow and the number of episodes I'm behind on. And I started half-heartedly watching all these shows while working on other things in order to check them off my list (like right now--I'm "watching" Modern Family). Logically I know that I don't have to watch all of these shows. But I really do love them. And I love being caught up on TV. But I also love sitting outside, and running errands, and reading, and blowing bubbles with my nephews. So, I'm stranded in this awkward position where I just don't have enough time to work, enjoy the summer, run errands, hang out with my family, and watch all my TV.

So, I need a summer break from TV. And then, in order to reign in this list of shows, maybe next year I won't collect any new TV. Except, let's be honest, I must watch this.

No comments: