Sunday, August 09, 2009

I'm Back!

I got back from the Caribbean about a week and a half ago, and I have a new love for dry heat, real water pressure, a comfortable bed, a room all to myself, walking down the street without men whistling and calling out to me, and customer service.

The Caribbean was fantastic. We stayed really busy, and I was sweating constantly, but in retrospect all of the negatives just kind of fade. In a typical day we had an hour of poetry class (usually in someone's hotel room or in a common area--sometimes outside or on field trips), three hours of painting class (towards the end of the program we didn't have class we were just expected to paint on our own), lots of reading, lots of painting, and lots of beach time. We ended up going on an average of three day trips a week, so we stayed really busy. My favorite day trips were the boat ride down the West coast of St. Lucia, turtle watching at Matura Beach in Trinidad, a 10-12 mile hike in Trinidad with Walcott's daugher Lizzie, a day at Maracas Bay in Trinidad, sea kayaking in Tobago, and a glass-bottom boat ride to Bucco Reef and the Nylon Pool in Tobago. I got a nice brown tan and my hair is a little blonder. Often, the program felt really busy and overwhelming because we had so many activities planned on top of having to do our normal coursework. The people on the program were fantastic--I even miss a couple of them.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the trip . . . more on facebook.


























3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome pics, it looks beautiful there. Admit it, you miss the wolf whistles.

Kathryn Pepper said...

That looks like it was pretty dang awesome.

hkojis said...

As one of your loyal blog readers I think you should post an update!!