Thursday, August 09, 2012

USA! USA!

Gold! They've done it again.

The game today took me back to the glory days of Mia Hamm, Kristine Lily, Brandi Chastain, and Julie Fowdy during the 1999 Women's World Cup final. I remember watching that game with my soccer team when I was fourteen. The US v. China. 0-0 at the end of overtime. After nine penalty kicks, it was tied 4-4. Then Brandi Chastain scored the winning penalty kick.

And I remember when me and my teammates would complain about having to run laps, or go to practice, or play three soccer games in one day. And all of the soccer parents would chuckle to themselves and talk about how we didn't know what a special thing we had. How we would all look back and realize how lucky we were to be involved in something so fun and to have such a close-knit team. And because I am stubborn and a know-it-all, I was always super annoyed when they said stuff like this. How dare they try to tell us that we aren't enjoying this enough. How dare they not let us complain about running two miles in 80-degree weather. And that's all true.

But, as painful it is for me to admit this, they were maybe a little bit right. I didn't get that team sports aren't really a part of adult life. I didn't get how amazing it was that my whole soccer team got along with each other, parents and players. I didn't get how much I would miss running drills at practice, and dribbling, and scoring goals.

And I know that I'm letting intense nostalgia color my view and whatever. But today, even though it has been crazy hot in Vancouver, I would give anything to lace up my cleats and run around a soccer field.

No comments: